Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Oh what a beautiful morning

The word of the day is CANCER FREE!! Surgeon came in and just said "you're free to go". Um what? Then he laughed and read the report. The cancer that was found in surgery was 1/4 cm. That's almost non-existent. He said they had to dig to find that sucker. It was just forming and if I didn't have all the other symptoms and my thyroid not be as big as it was, I would have gone around with this thing growing for the next 5 yrs.  So it's gone, there is no other. I have no other tests, treatments, nothing needed! Just follow up with my PCP and get back on the synthroid. If I didn't believe in the power of prayer and healing before, I sure do now. My Mom and I just set there with our jaws on the floor going "huh?" Then we left all giddy and couldn't stop laughing. I called my husband, texted my parents, siblings, uncle, and besties, came home, popped a synthroid, and just set and cried!!

The initial report which my PCP read to me on Friday, said there were 3 spots that were tested and each spot was positive for both Papillary Carcinoma and Follicular Neoplasm but one spot was questionable so they sent everything off for a 2nd opinion. The 2nd opinion of course, was quite different. And for that, I am greatful!

My grandfather, Flemon Frazier, prayer and healing was his thing. If you knew him, you don't even realize you are smiling right now. If you had anything from the sniffles to a chronic un-cureable illness, he would hold a prayer meeting in his living room, and he would often be seen at someones bedside either in their home or hospital, laying his hands on you and crying out for healing. And it worked too. The downside of this was he was a worrier and he would worry over all of these people he was praying so hard for. His heart for the sick and hurting was far greater than he was. I sure did love that man! He raised his 2 children, my amazing mother Donna, and precious Uncle Dennis to have this same heart and need to pray over the hurting. The past month, my Uncle has texted me every single night at 8:00 mst to ask me how I was doing and what they could pray for today. He may be the only person I was compleatly honest with. A small act on his part, but huge to me! When all of this started and I was so sick, I was at my Mom's house and unable to walk 2 steps without stopping to take a breath. I was sitting in her livingroom hyperventilating and crying and she ran in the kitchen, grabbed some olive oil, ran back to me, put it on my head and just said "Jesus, I don't know what else to do" This by the way, totally freaked my kids out. Which made me laugh a lot.

 I said all that to say this. I believe in prayer. I believe in healing. I don't believe that things either happen or don't happen. I believe there is a greater power holding your hand all the way. Whether you are facing certain death, finding out that your unborn baby is very sick, or just getting test results back. Recieving bad news, in no way means that God has left you. It means, he is using you or that he loves you so much he can't wait any longer to get you beside him in heaven. You have the choice to decide how you will handle it. You either trust God or you don't. Yes, it's perfectly normal to be upset, angry, scared, anxious, and everything else that happens. If you wern't you wouldn't be human. This is where faith comes in and having a great support group to pick up the pieces that fall around you. When I say this, I'm preaching to myself because I run straight to anxiety when the wind blows in the wrong direction. Doesn't mean I don't have faith. It means I'm human and have the anxiety of a house cat, which was inherited by the above mentioned Grandfather.

I am just so overwhelmed with all of this right now, I can't wrap my head around it.  All of this is just a dream. Maybe more so to me than those around me because I've been sick since June and in and out of it most of the time. The biggest positive that has come out of this mess is that my anti-doctor "ain't broke don't fix it" male loves of my life aka my brothers and husband, have either gotten physical exams or are planning on it. Chris told me, it's one thing when it's your parents sick because we are at that season in life when that starts to happen, but you are my little sister so this has been quite the kick in the head. Well thank you big brother. I do what I can!

So what's next for me you ask? I'm making lemonade out of my lemons. ThyCa is the national Thyroid Cancer Awerness Organization and Colorado Springs does not have a local group. But not for long. I have contacted them and am in the process of starting a group here. The day I had my thyroid removed, there were 10 other people in the hospital with me who were having the same surgery. That's crazy! Thyroid Cancer is the fastest growing diagnosed cancer in the nation right now. Clearly, I'm a walking example that early detection is key. But I had to fight to get as far as I did. And I was very sick with clear symptoms. The majority of people with Thyroid Cancer have no symptoms and the nodules are found during a routine exam by your dr. You have to check your neck! We all know about self breast exams and skin checks but you can't skip the neck. You have lymph nodes in there that can tell a whole lot of stories and you are the only person with total access to the book. Your body will only fight for you, if you fight for it! Man, I could TOTALLY do a PSA commerical.

Sorry I don't have any pictures today but here is the song I woke up to this morning. I love this song so much! I wasn't aware I even liked My Chemical Romance but this song is fantastic!

No comments: