I still can't believe the word "cancerversary" is in my language. But such is my life. So, this is now my 3 year mark. That is a pretty big deal. I've finally found a competent doctor who actually cares and is proactive with me and my symptoms. It's a nice change. At my first appointment she held my hand and said "we will do this together and I'm only a phone call away day or night". Wow, imagine if all Doctors still felt that way. I had my 3 year scans done and there is no signs of reoccurrence anywhere and that is pretty big since there was a small scare there. What I do know in all of this is that YOU are in control of YOUR body and health. No one else really cares. It's the honest truth. Some may say they care but it's your symptoms so if you are not proactive who else is going to be?
Had I listened to the first 3 Doctors I went to, my 3 year story would be without a doubt, a very different story. I'm going to reveal some things that I haven't talked about before but it is on my heart to do so. When I first started getting sick, I didn't know why or what was going on I just knew my body was not right and I was digging a very dark hole for myself that I was ready to jump inside and cover myself up. See, with Thyroid Cancer, there are usually little symptoms, but boy did I have them. It happened so fast it is still hard to put pieces together. At first, I was told I was bipolar and needed intensive psychotherapy. My mind wasn't right. I was depressed and I was having panic attacks that I could not handle. I had not had them before and it was very scary. I was angry and my emotions were all over the map. I finally had a panic attack so bad it scared Tony and he took me to the ER where they did blood work and found my tsh was extremely high and referred me a primary doctor who then started me on some meds for the thyroid and for the panic attacks. My throat was so swollen that I couldn't breathe and I was covered from head to toe in hives all day and night. No one could figure out why or how these things were happening. The 2 specialists I saw said it was anxiety and nothing more. One told me I should just calm down and my symptoms would go away.
When the 3 nodules were detected by ultrasound, I was again told by a doctor that it was nothing to worry about. We could just watch it and come back in 6 months to a year. He offered me NOTHING. He told me that the chances of it being actually cancer were slim. When upon my begging at my primary, had a biopsy of the nodules, the Radiologist, once again, told me it was probably nothing and he didn't even think we should be bothering with a biopsy but I insisted that since I was there I was going to do it. Then guess what- It was cancer. So out it goes. Not only was it just cancer but it was 2 very different cancers and one of them was very aggressive and fast moving. Had I waited, the story would have been different.
Had I listened to the first 3 Doctors I went to, my 3 year story would be without a doubt, a very different story. I'm going to reveal some things that I haven't talked about before but it is on my heart to do so. When I first started getting sick, I didn't know why or what was going on I just knew my body was not right and I was digging a very dark hole for myself that I was ready to jump inside and cover myself up. See, with Thyroid Cancer, there are usually little symptoms, but boy did I have them. It happened so fast it is still hard to put pieces together. At first, I was told I was bipolar and needed intensive psychotherapy. My mind wasn't right. I was depressed and I was having panic attacks that I could not handle. I had not had them before and it was very scary. I was angry and my emotions were all over the map. I finally had a panic attack so bad it scared Tony and he took me to the ER where they did blood work and found my tsh was extremely high and referred me a primary doctor who then started me on some meds for the thyroid and for the panic attacks. My throat was so swollen that I couldn't breathe and I was covered from head to toe in hives all day and night. No one could figure out why or how these things were happening. The 2 specialists I saw said it was anxiety and nothing more. One told me I should just calm down and my symptoms would go away.
When the 3 nodules were detected by ultrasound, I was again told by a doctor that it was nothing to worry about. We could just watch it and come back in 6 months to a year. He offered me NOTHING. He told me that the chances of it being actually cancer were slim. When upon my begging at my primary, had a biopsy of the nodules, the Radiologist, once again, told me it was probably nothing and he didn't even think we should be bothering with a biopsy but I insisted that since I was there I was going to do it. Then guess what- It was cancer. So out it goes. Not only was it just cancer but it was 2 very different cancers and one of them was very aggressive and fast moving. Had I waited, the story would have been different.
No comments:
Post a Comment