Saturday, April 7, 2012

Who am I?

Tomorrow is Easter, my favorite of all holidays. I love it because it is Spring and the flowers are blooming and the trees and grass are green (if you don't live in brown Colorado). All the animals are having babies so there is this whole sense of new life. I live across from a giant field that has cows and horses and this time of year there are always babies being born. It's such a beautiful sight. Also, it's a holiday where you get a new dress and chocolate. What can you NOT like about that? Family's all go to church together and then spend the rest of the day together. It's a holiday full of tradition.

Of course, me being Southern, and y'all know the closeness of my family, you can bet I have some great Easter stories. One of my favorite memories is, when we were all at the age where hunting eggs was for "kids" but Casey, being the youngest in the family, still had a few years left of hunt in her so we did. Everyone hid eggs and Casey went on her search and had found all but 1 egg and no one knew where it was. It wasn't until we turned the entire yard up side down, that we found the missing egg. It was in my Grandfather's pocket, who was pretending to be asleep.

There you have it. Why I love Easter. But that's not all. Yes, there is chocolate and bunnies and life and family and tradition, but most of all, there is my JESUS. All of those things are nothing without Him!

This year, Easter will be quite different. My Mom has pneumonia, so the only thing she is cooking up is phlegm (not, Flem, that's my Grandfather) *I'm SO funny* so she isn't up for having everyone over as planned. I spent all day yesterday in the ER after almost passing out while getting my Whole Body Scan. Nothing a good shot of phenegren and a bag of saline can't shake into place. The ER Doc was very sympathetic and understanding of what I'm going through. He told me my body is just trying to start over and it will take some time to get it back to "normal". Because I'm so tired and don't have taste buds, and nausea is my new best friend, eating and drinking anything is not that pleasing to me. Therefore, weakness and dehydration set in like stink on a monkey. This means, No Easter Plans. And quite frankly, I'm OK with that.

Back to my point- in all this sickness that I'm forced to stare in the face everyday, I'm humbled and in awe that every wound and drop of blood that Jesus shed was so I could live and I could be healed. ME!! Who am I that our precious savior would go to the cross and be beaten, mocked and crucified for? What have I done to repay him for this? What could I do to repay him?

I'm selfish, sarcastic and enjoy potty humor. Since I'm being honest here, I'm mean and can be a little narcissistic. I'm full of flaws. I suffer from chronic anxiety and low self esteem and the whole idea of Agoraphobia is slightly appealing to me. For the life of me, I can't re-tell a joke, but I'm naive enough to believe I can. I'm a picky eater and a germ-a-phobe, and have this crazy need to please everyone around me. 

But you know what else? I'm also funny, I have a servants heart and live by the Golden Rule of doing for others before myself. I'm a good writer and an even better singer. I play the piano and bass and have a gift of being able to turn every conversation into song. I give every object a name so it has some sense of identity (ex- My Kurieg's name is Kevin, my car's name is Paula, my Bass' name is Bessie Blue) I relate every situation to an episode of The Golden Girls or King of the Hill. 

And guess what? Jesus died for every single bit of me. Not just the parts that are good or bad. It's these parts that make me, Allyson. Good or bad, wright or wrong, it's who I am, and I'm not willing to change. (unless you ask me to and then in an effort to please, I would)  

I'll leave you with this, since you are all singing it in your heads anyway. I believe Casting Crown said it best. Happy Easter!

No comments: