Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cancer Awarness Days

I remember when just a few years ago I thought Cancer was just something other people get. Then my Mom got that phone call. I remember every detail of my mother's battle with Breast Cancer.
She does not, but ask her about my Cancer battle and I know she can recall the entire
play by play. That's the funny part about this illness, it effects those closest to you more than it does you. My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2008.

I remember one afternoon going to the grocery store with her and her Dr calling to confirm her Mammogram. I knew she had just had one so I asked her why she was having another one and she didn't answer. It was that same week that my grandfather, her father, died. Because she did not want to draw attention away from him or to have others feel sorry for her, she didn't tell anyone that they found a lump in her breast. I still look back at those pictures from his funeral and think "my gosh, she had cancer in her body and just kept quiet about it" It would have eaten me a live. But that's my Mom. Always thinking of others.

I was with her during the biopsy and when she got the results that not only did she have Breat Cancer but that it was the most aggressive type. I helped her make the decision to have a  Double Mastectomy. I cried all the same tears she cried. I was strong for her and held her hand and anything else she needed me to do for her. She gave me life, that was my role. Her first Chemo treatment was in May. For Mothers Day, I surprised her with a "Shaving Party" Each one of her boys saved their heads, her 2 daughter in laws donated hair to Locks Of  Love, and I, not to be outdone, shaved my legs! Then she was ready for Ray to shave her hair. Now, first off, we are Southern. Hair, make-up, and shoes make up a woman and we are taught that from the womb. So the idea of losing her hair was really a big deal. She told me she was fine with losing her breast, but not her hair.  I set in a chair directly in front of her, holding her face in my hands and with each follicle that fell to the ground, I told her how beautiful, amazing, and brave she was, as she sobbed.





I was with her through Chemo and the day they told her the Cancer was gone. I drew pictures of the sun and hung them all over her bedroom and had my kids sing "You are my Sunshine" when all she wanted was to go outside and see what the sun felt like again. I even made her boob cakes on the day she had her surgery. (red velvet, white frosting, with 1 pink mini marshmellow in the middle). I worried and fussed, and changed bandages and drove her to countless Dr and Chemo appointments. I am her daughter and best friend, and I would not have had it any other way.


I never dreamed 2011 would be my turn on the big C marry-go-round. In June 2011, I chose to ignore what the Dr's, Radiologist, and Internal Medicine Dr's told me and fight for my health. If I heard once that Thyroid Cancer is the one to get, I heard it a hundred times. I chose to fight for me! Anyone who has walked this journey with me, can tell you how difficult it is. I never dreamed at 33 years old I would be facing the greatest physically and spritually challenge's of my life. Three different Doctors told me it was nothing to worry about, to just watch it, and it was easily curable if in fact I had Thyroid Cancer. I fought them all and got my Biopsy which confirmed what I already knew. A few weeks later I was in surgery. Not only did I have Thyroid Camcer, I had two different kinds. Folliliclar and Herhel Cell Carsinoma, the most deadly and aggressive form of Thyroid Cancer (when Donna & I do something, we go all the way!) My story is still just beginning but through it I have met many wonderful people and have made some positive changes in my life. I've learned who to count on and who to rid from my life. I've learned that I am stronger than I ever thought I could be. My husband is a great partner and my children are simply angels sent from heaven for my amusement.

Cancer is a journey and not one that anyone wants to walk. Chosing to be positive even on the days you want to beat your head into a rock to escape the pain, sickness, depression, and bad news is what it takes to over come. Knowing you have a God who saw this coming before you did and deciding to step back and let him take over and learn the lessons he is trying to teach you will give you more strength than you ever thought you could stand. And knowing with all your heart, that when that no matter the outcome, there is a better place waiting to welcome you home and while you mourn over the thought of leaving loved one's behind, it's them who should be jealous of you. Bottom line: Cancer Sucks!

No comments: