As I sit here drinking my coffee on the patio of the 12th floor of San Carlos Condo's in Gulf Shores, Alabama, I'm reminded of what it has taken to get me here. Growing up, we came to Gulf Shores or Florida every summer. When you live in MS you are just a few hours from anywhere you want to be. Now, I'm raising kids in CO where you are just a few hours from the other side of the mountains. My kids have never been to an actual beach. They have been to man made beaches but it is not the same. I wanted so bad for them to be able to sit and enjoy all the beach has to offer and to get a lot of Southern Charm in their faces.
I also thought it was important for my Mom to have her girlfriends beach vacation while we were here so I invited two of her best friends, Jackie Welch, and Gaye Wilson. Both of these women had a huge influence on my upbringing and I love them both as extended mothers. The love I have for these 2 amazing women is like nothing I can describe.
Next week will be two years since I found out I had cancer. It has been the longest two years of my life and the lives of everyone that loves me. Thankfully, I don't remember a lot of it. I just found out last night that my Mom didn't go on her last girlfriends beach trip because I had just been diagnosed ands she wasn't going to leave me. For some reason I thought she did. It's funny, had I known she cancelled I would have been so upset with her but just like I stopped my life when she got the Big "C", it is just what you do for someone you love. Jackie and Gaye both told me that it was the hardest thing to come here at that time because they too were so worried about me and prayed for me the entire time (they both said they would have canceled the trip completely had they had trip insurance).
I'm literally sitting here watching the water as I write this. I can't help but be overcome with emotion. It is amazing what God does. The waves in the ocean come to the shore and push out all the bad stuff then pull back in all the good. You can see this by all of the seaweed and shells that are on the beach at any given moment. You can also see the dead fish that pop up on the shoreline but thankfully I was not privy to this on this particular trip. The thought of this is magnificent. I want to lay naked in the shoreline and let the water pull out all the bad in my body. Keeping in mind that no dead animals are then replaced! There is a giant sign that says this is not allowed. Also, the other people around here would be quite disgusted and offended if I were to lay naked on the shore. And of course, the sharks.
It is not just water. It is a natural cleansing system. This is what it feels like to be in the presence of the Lord. There is a sense of warmth and relaxation as you surrender to him and let him cleanse you of the bad and stir up the good to fill in all the gaps. How can you look out onto this creation and not sense this? It is never ending and all consuming. It brings joy and peace. Yet there is a cautious state you have to be in. You have to let the water tell you what to do. While it is calming from the surface, there is danger beneath and unsteadiness that must be appreciated and respected.
This trip was not just good for my health but it was good for my heart. Eating good, laughing till someone literally peed their pants, crying, loving, praying, and more eating.
We had devotions every morning while we drank our coffee and smoothies. Then we finished each night with another devotion, prayer, and reflection. Being with a group of women that you can share your entire heart with is rare and cathartic. We all needed this as much as the other. I look forward to doing it again next year! And I just might leave the kids at home.
I also thought it was important for my Mom to have her girlfriends beach vacation while we were here so I invited two of her best friends, Jackie Welch, and Gaye Wilson. Both of these women had a huge influence on my upbringing and I love them both as extended mothers. The love I have for these 2 amazing women is like nothing I can describe.
Next week will be two years since I found out I had cancer. It has been the longest two years of my life and the lives of everyone that loves me. Thankfully, I don't remember a lot of it. I just found out last night that my Mom didn't go on her last girlfriends beach trip because I had just been diagnosed ands she wasn't going to leave me. For some reason I thought she did. It's funny, had I known she cancelled I would have been so upset with her but just like I stopped my life when she got the Big "C", it is just what you do for someone you love. Jackie and Gaye both told me that it was the hardest thing to come here at that time because they too were so worried about me and prayed for me the entire time (they both said they would have canceled the trip completely had they had trip insurance).
I'm literally sitting here watching the water as I write this. I can't help but be overcome with emotion. It is amazing what God does. The waves in the ocean come to the shore and push out all the bad stuff then pull back in all the good. You can see this by all of the seaweed and shells that are on the beach at any given moment. You can also see the dead fish that pop up on the shoreline but thankfully I was not privy to this on this particular trip. The thought of this is magnificent. I want to lay naked in the shoreline and let the water pull out all the bad in my body. Keeping in mind that no dead animals are then replaced! There is a giant sign that says this is not allowed. Also, the other people around here would be quite disgusted and offended if I were to lay naked on the shore. And of course, the sharks.
It is not just water. It is a natural cleansing system. This is what it feels like to be in the presence of the Lord. There is a sense of warmth and relaxation as you surrender to him and let him cleanse you of the bad and stir up the good to fill in all the gaps. How can you look out onto this creation and not sense this? It is never ending and all consuming. It brings joy and peace. Yet there is a cautious state you have to be in. You have to let the water tell you what to do. While it is calming from the surface, there is danger beneath and unsteadiness that must be appreciated and respected.
This trip was not just good for my health but it was good for my heart. Eating good, laughing till someone literally peed their pants, crying, loving, praying, and more eating.
We had devotions every morning while we drank our coffee and smoothies. Then we finished each night with another devotion, prayer, and reflection. Being with a group of women that you can share your entire heart with is rare and cathartic. We all needed this as much as the other. I look forward to doing it again next year! And I just might leave the kids at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment